Monday, April 26, 2010

Ms Bigmouth And The AP


Ms. Bigmouth stopped the AP in the hall today after another department meeting where senior teachers were constantly being berated and accused of not being effective. She pulled the AP aside and asked to speak, as a friend, prefacing her comments with "You will probably not be happy with what I am about to say, but I am going to say it anyway." Then she began:


You made some wonderful points at the meeting. I know there were things you said that I need to work on but, all anyone hears at the meeting is "senior teacher this, and senior teacher that" and quite frankly, we can't get past that. (The AP offered defense but Ms. Bigmouth wanted no part of it.) I am telling you what we hear and because of that, nothing else registers and we have no desire to try to implement any of your suggestions. The way you talk about teachers is wrong. We all know who you are referring to in your generalities and its not nice and its not appropriate. You have to express everything you said in more general terms and on a more positive note. When we met after you observed me, you began the meeting on a very positive, respectful note. Because of that, I listened to what you had to say, realized what I did and what I need to do differently and I have been attempting to do them. You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar and some teachers, like students need the extra TLC.

For once, the AP listened. Ms. Bigmouth evaluated the situation and was sure the AP did get it and would make an effort to do things differently in the future. Ms. Bigmouth went home feeling good about herself. She just finished telling me this story and asked me to write what she hopes will be a happy ending for all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice!
I've been trying myself to think of a polite and tactful way to air some concerns with my administration about how they treat our faculty. Thanks for the inspiration!

Chaz said...

( for one support Ms. Bigmouth and I would do the same but don't be surprised if retaliation is in the offering.

Pissedoffteacher said...

I can assure you Ms. Bigmouth does not care and if it happens,she is more than capable of taking care of herself. Thanks for your concern.

Anonymous said...

A Kudos Miss Bigmouth!

ChiTown Girl said...

Way to go, Ms. Bigmouth! :)