Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving


The only reason I look forward to Thanksgiving is the two days off from work. Not having a big family to celebrate with makes the holiday quiet, often boring and sad. Even my daughter decided not to celebrate with us this year. Her boyfriend has a wonderful, big family and she is having the celebration I always wanted. As I sit watching the news and seeing all the unfortunates in the soup kitchens I know I should be counting my blessings instead of weeping in my tea. But, sometimes a person just cannot help feeling sad.


Today is my parent's sixty first wedding anniversary. I began the day by taking my dad to visit her grave. The cemetery is in New Jersey and he is one of those octogenarians who knows his limitations behind the wheel and never makes the drive alone. It would have been too hard for him to be there alone. I picked him up at 7:15 and managed to be back in Queens by 10:00, beating all the holiday traffic.

I knew that today would be especially hard on him so I was thrilled when he agreed to come home with me. We had breakfast in a nearby diner (which he really liked) and then just vegged around my house all day. He watched the Macy's parade and some I Love Lucy reruns while I cooked. We tried to make sure he was busy and had no time to dwell on my mom's not being here.

Dinner was good, if I do say so myself. Lots of turkey, meatballs, homemade cranberry sauce, stuffing, and all the other goodies. I even made an apple pie. Dad is on his way home now, thank you Access-A Ride. [He just called. he got picked up by a private car and made it home in record time.] He might cry a little more tonight, but at least his day was good.

Everything is cleaned up, the leftovers are put away. Now, do I mark my test papers, plan some lessons, write the few college recommendations I have left or find some stupid television show to fall asleep in front of? The two guys in the picture have the right idea about how to spend their time.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your cats! I am having sonior cat heath issuess so I know about sad feelings. but he will be ok its just stessful.

17 (really 15) more years said...

You absolutely cannot do lesson plans and grade papers- I won't allow it!

I know exactly how you feel about quiet Thanksgivings- but I am thankful for what I do have, and don't look at what I don't- and it puts an entirely different perspective on things.

Rachel Grynberg said...

You have wonderful cats. Check out Larry and Bernie on my blog. They too know the meaning of Thanksgiving.

Try to get some rest, okay?

Schoolgal said...

Maybe next year you can plan a relaxing trip for the holiday that your dad will also enjoy.

Pissedoffteacher said...

The black one is also named Larry. The gray one is his sister, Rita.

Pissedoffteacher said...

My dad is difficult--I have a hard enough time getting him here--he will never go away.

Anonymous said...

I thought you would say that--because all dads (and moms) are difficult--especially when they are older.

Let's just hope we don't get that way when we are older.

Schoolgal