Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Retirement

A young teacher asked me today when I am going to retire. I probably over reacted when I yelled at him and told him I would retire when I was ready and he'd know about it when he didn't see me anymore. I know he only asked because he is hoping for an opening in the school so he can be hired full time. I know I reacted the way I did because of the way the administration treats older teachers. They want us to retire. They don't like the fact that we won't buy into their new ways of teaching, ways that have not been tested and in fact were never even tried by people working in a classroom. They don't like the fact that they have to pay us more than the newbies and they don't like the fact that we know our contractual rights and refuse to be bullied!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a young teacher who wont buy into the new ways either- know that they are not educationally sound, conducive for learning and damaging to students..

I decided to click on the first year you started blogging to read from the beginning..nice..