Monday, February 25, 2013

Hidden Treasure

 

I haven't written about NYC in a while, that doesn't mean I haven't been enjoying my own city.

I am embarrassed to write that I finally got to PS 1 and 5 Pointz yesterday, for the first time.  Long Island City, right in my own bag yard, is almost as foreign to me as Artic Circle.

First off, 5 Points has some of the most wonderful graffiti anyone will every see.  The buildings are truly works of art.  I'm only sorry I didn't bring my good camera. (The PS 1 website said no photos inside so I didn't bother.)  These paintings alone are worth the trip to the area.

I was not expecting much from PS 1, an annex of the MOMA, but I was sure wrong.  It is great to see this old school building put to use.  Aside from all the workshops and lectures going on, the artwork is great.  There is a fantastic exhibit by African American artists from the '60s and '70s on the ground floor and the upper levels also have some pretty interesting sculptures and artworks.  I would hope every school in the city brings their students here to see what can be done with materials at hand, particularly things others consider junk and garbage.  I am sure my husband is glad I never taught art because I know I would have a full house of this stuff.  Even without talent, I have an urge to start creating after this trip.

(above is my husband's favorite picture)

No comments: