Friday, December 04, 2009

I've Got My Finger On The Pulse


I'm doing a crappy job with my ninth graders. No matter what I do, I can't get them to shut up and work. And, for a few, their performance level is so low, I don't even understand how they made it to high school, especially since our wonderful mayor ended social promotion years ago.

Yet, in spite of this, there are people out there that think there has got to be a way to get them to pass algebra. The five month old baby can't learn to dance because he can't even stand, let alone walk which is the same as getting these kids to pass algebra when they don't understand basic arithmetic concepts.

I was told today that I have my finger on the pulse of the problem. Unfortunately, the patient is dying anyway.

3 comments:

teacher_x said...

It's even more fun when you tell a counselor that a student who failed Biology, Chemistry, Math A, Algebra and Geometry probably can't pass Physics. Usually, they nod wisely, talk about weak reasoning skills, and schedule the kid for honors Physics.

mathman42 said...

My goodness, and I thought it was only me. No 4's, maybe 30% 3's, the rest 2's. About 25 % are learning at what should pass 65 - 70 in June. 10 % 70 - 80 level. I'm not too concerned about the noise level except I get a little loud myself.

Ms. Maddy said...

My students are being allowed to enroll in Algebra 1 and Pre-Algebra (or Alg. 1 and Geometry) at the same time -- to 'help them graduate.' The counselors don't seem to understand why that plan isn't working.
My ninth graders turn in nothing.