Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Exploding Heads


The new semester has started and I feel as though I should move a cot into the guidance office. I'm spending so much time there trying to get my kids in the right classes.

Today I walked into a meeting of the guidance department and their AP. I waited for them to finish before I approached anyone. The counselors were agitated and the AP in charge looked like she was about to blow a gasket. They saw me and glared. "The math department is driving us crazy", they said. I wanted to run. The Bronx in me held my ground. "I come in peace", I said. "I just want to put in a request for Mila to be put in my college now class. Please don't hurt me, I only work here." The counselor, a sweet young thing, said she would do it but her brain was fried. She asked me to write down the information. She even found me a pen and paper so I didn't have to search through the three bags I was carrying. (She came to me later and said she made the change.) I approached another counselor about one of the geometry kids I was trying to get back. He was not as pleasant, and roared. "I can't take this anymore. I'll do whatever you want and sign Mr. AP's name." He looked like he might get violent any moment so I ran. (I saw him later and it was all straightened out.)

I have made myself quite noticeable in the guidance office. They either feel ill when they see me or give in to my request immediately. These poor people are over worked and over stressed. Their case loads are huge. I know at least one AP that is driving them crazy. My being a pain has gotten my kids what they need. So, I'll take my chances with their voodoo magic. I'll watch my back and I will keep on going.

1 comment:

JUSTICE not "just us" said...

It seems to me that your school will not be a "good" school for much longer with these problems in programming. I know you care but you should not be doing the job of the counselors who are overworked and understaffed.

It is just terrible that kids sit in classes they have already taken or don't need. It was so bad at soon to be defunct school that regular ed kids where programmed into special ed classes! Hey the counseors had to do something and they did!