Sunday, September 02, 2007

Honesty


Back to bitching!!! I've got to keep that colleague who is recovering and not in school informed about all the fun he is missing.

Friday we had workshops. I got lucky enough to go to one on technology, and the new computers and screens that are hooked up in about two rooms in every department. I got "chosen" for this workshop because I am computer savvy. The AP running it began by asking the people in the room why we did not use technology. One person mentioned accessibility. The guy refuted this and pointed to the newly installed equipment. I then told him "Training. We need lots of training and it should be on school time." He got kind of nasty and said "That is what your prep periods are for. Prep does not mean double lunch. Besides, you can always come in early or stay late." He lost me with that comment. I left at the end but went back to speak to him about his rudeness. Of course, he was not around. I will speak to him next week. He doesn't know me. He doesn't know that my lunch is always used as a prep when I am not tutoring. He asked why we don't use technology. I told him. I guess he could not deal with an honest answer.

1 comment:

17 (really 15) more years said...

I am so sick and tired of the assumption that teachers need to be self-sacrificing, and that our personal time should be solely devoted to school matters. I adopted a mindset years ago that goes something like, "this is my job, it is not my life", and I am determined to stick to that. If that makes me a terrible, undedicated teacher, so be it.

BTW- Thanks for the add to your "good reads" list- I really appreciate it!