Friday, September 28, 2007

Baby It's Hot Inside....


Students taking exam outside. The one in the background is sitting on the steps.

Broken thermostat.

Someone got into my trailer Wednesday after school and cut the wires on the thermostat. I guess that is what can happen when there is no security. I guess that can happen when the cover on the thermostat has been missing for a year and the thermostat itself has been hanging by a single wire on the wall for just as long. Now the air conditioner does not turn on. We never really had a thermostat, unless you count turning it on and off 10 times a period. So now the room is a furnace. My complaints to the administration were met with "lots of rooms don't have working air conditioners." The other rooms aren't located inside tin boxes with windows that barely open. The other rooms should have working air conditioners as well. I bet Suit has a working air conditioner in his office. My kids had an exam today. Many opted to take their chairs outside where the weather was much better.

3 comments:

JUSTICE not "just us" said...

Same here except we can not go outside. I doubt the Chelsea community wants to see us all outside. Yet, the Lab School across the street has "scholars"
and they are a welcomed site in the trendy and "progressive" community.

Mimi said...

I can't believe you teach in a trailer. I know it happens, but I can't even imagine.

They cut off our air conditioners on the 24th despite the fact that it is still hot as hell outside and even hotter in our building (although, probably not as hot as it is in a tin can). I love that the city decided that the DATE was more important than the actual TEMPERATURE outside.

Anonymous said...

I teach on the 3rd floor of a old and brick building. Can we say oven? We don't have air conditioning at all. I literally got to school before 7am all last week to find it above 80 degrees in my room. Yeah, that's going to make me want to be a good teacher and my kids are really into math when they are melting in their chairs. It's crazy.

I think the part that bothers me the most is that another part of the building that houses the science rooms got AC this year because of the "chemicals." Hmmm, in over 30 years of the school being in existance suddenly that's a big problem? If they have it, I need it too--I just might combust.

But I agree with you, I think the worst thing is when the principal tells me how cold he is in his office--he has to wear a jacket. Poor thing. If that comment happens one more time, I swear.....