Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Brother-In-Law


One minute everything is fine. You are going to work. You are bitching about traffic. You are having dinner with your family, playing with one grandchild and thinking about the other one that you haven't had a chance to meet yet. One minute everything is good. Next thing, you are lying in a hospital bed, horrible itchy things that blow up are on your legs, you are hooked up to a ventilator. Your lungs are not working. No one knows if you will make it.....

This is the story of my brother-in-law. He is young, early 50's. He is a good guy. So is my sister, in spite of all the nasty stuff I have written about her. She is watching her husband now looking like our mom looked before she died. The doctors say they are going to wean him off the ventilator, but that is not happening. I'm scared for her. I'm scared for him. I wish I was closer so I could be there for her. I wish this wasn't the first week of school. I pray for him to get better and for her to stay strong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life changes fast,
life changes in the instant.
You sit down to dinner and life as you know it changes...


Prayers for you and all your family!

Mighty Mojo said...

I agree with beth, you should read The Year of Magical Thinking.

And I add my prayers as well.