Saturday, March 10, 2007

NCLB --A Play That Should Not Be Missed



I just saw a great play that I will strongly recommend anyone in the New York area sees, especially teachers--No Child.... this is a one-woman show in the Barrow Street Theater, written by and performed by Nilaja Sun. Ms. Sun worked as a teacher artist in New York City for eight years and draws on her experiences from teaching to create this show. Ms. Sun accurately portrays teachers, students, the principal and even the janitor of the school. She points out all the things wrong with the NCLB law and calls the call to become a NYC a call to the lion's den. She moves from character to character flawlessly, changing her facial expressions and posture to match each person she is portraying. If you are like me and don't like to spend a lot of money for shows and are a member of TDF, you can even get discounted tickets here. Ms. Sun came out to talk to her audience after the performance. She was warm and outgoing, thanked us all for coming and even inquired as to where we were teaching. She said that her Wednesday matinee is usually full of school children (think trip, if your school allows it). Klein has come to see it, although he hasn't commented on it or acted like everything she portrayed was true. Bloomberg has yet to come.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm SO glad you liked it!!! It's so great...and when I get down because of my AP or something, I go and see it. Hmmm...may have to add it onto my Spring Break list. Though I am going with the UFT New Teachers' group sometime this spring...April I think.

Mind if I add your journal to my list of places to see?

Oh...and this is my primarily personal-stuff one (it's cool that you read it!). :) For teaching exclusive, that's http://teachinglizzie.typepad.com/learning_to_teach if you're interested. Though I'm not great about keeping up on there.

NYC Educator said...

I've really gotta get off my butt and see that play. I've heard wonderful things about it from a lot of teachers.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

I'm envious. Tell Ms. Sun we'd love to see her work out here on the Left Coast, too.

Pissedoffteacher said...

Beth--I look for ward to reading your stuff too. I'm flattered that you like what you read here. I only started doing this as stress relief. Feel free to add away.