Saturday, May 24, 2008

When You Are Barely Making Ends Meet


1. Make sure you have the newest cell phone with a zillion minutes a month and unlimited texting. Don't worry if you go over your zillion minutes, it only costs $$$ a minute. Oh, and make sure you keep sending those pictures. The extra $$$ don't count here either.

2. Be sure to have a DVR connected to your high definition 52 inch flat screen television. You should not have to miss any part of a show if you are interrupted by a phone call.

3. Get a manicure and a pedicure weekly. You cannot afford to look tacky when you are seen texting in public.

4. Use your Pell Grant to take a trip. It is free money and you've already paid for this term's school. Don't worry about extra expenses cropping up.

5. Retake a job that only pays commission and has no health benefits. You have been fired from this job in the past, but, it might be better this time around. Besides, there is nothing as thrilling as not knowing if there will be a pay check at the end of the week or not.

If you are like a certain person I know, there is always daddy to cry to. You are his little girl and he will write you that check to pay your mortgage or your car insurance because your money has gone to pay for the above.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if you are referring to a family member here. My niece and her husband have fallen on hard times, but the hard times just keep piling and almost every family member has helped out with paying bills and lending money so the kids can go to the pool, soccer, swimming classes, skateboarding and whatever other afterschool activities kids do.

So what did they do with their tax refund??? Pay bills...NO. Pay some people back...NO.

They're going to Disney World. (Because their kids are so deprived???)

So the moral of the story here is, the more you enable the more you get screwed.

Schoolgal

Pissedoffteacher said...

How did you know it was a family member?

The trip is for her daughter because she really wants her to take it.

Anonymous said...

I only thought you were going through something similar. I bet many families have gone through this. I am, and it is getting painful.

My sister is going through this now with her daughter. I can only guess their are other families who have the same experience. It just kills me that my niece is not using the money to pay bills or saving it when each of us has helped her and her husband in the past.

With so many families losing their homes today, they have no idea how well off they are. Yet they look at things in terms of other people's lives. DisneyWorld to them is a necessity for their kids??? I don't think so.

Sorry if you took my comment to imply something it wasn't meant to be. I just wish families would understand that sometimes paying the bills can also be enabling rather than helping.
S.

Pissedoffteacher said...

I knew what your comment meant and it describes what I am going through with my sister. I have a hard time looking her in the face.

A few years ago, when she was unemployed and her husband was unemployed, they looked for jobs to "fullfil them" instead of jobs to pay the bills. My niece needs the trip like I needed the poison ivy.

Anonymous said...

I have tried sending them links to stories on how other people save money. So much for that.

I finally spoke to my niece's husband about the trip (as nicely as I could) and I could hear how upset the conversation was making him. They just "don't get it!!"
They have this attitude about "live for today". When I mentioned to my niece that her sister is now in a bind, and part of that was because she bailed her out and bought her trips because she felt sorry for her, her response was, "well she still has her special money market." Hell, that's money she doesn't want to touch, but my niece doesn't seem to understand the concept of having a savings.

I know her life has been hard and she has faced many obstacles I wouldn't want in my life, but she can't use it as an excuse that they "deserve" it because of their hard times.

S.

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

Oh, holy shit! You're related to my sister, too????

Cousin!

Miss SeƱora said...

Your niece is apparently the 7th grade SpEd teacher at my school. *shudder*