Monday, January 28, 2008

Worth While


Cooper is a young man I met during my C-6 tutoring assignment. He needed to pass the regents in math B to pass the course. He came in with a well used regents book and lots of questions which showed how hard he was working.

The last day of school Cooper was the only one who showed up for tutoring. I was able to really help him that day and showed him some tricks on the graphing calculator that would help him on the regents. Since he didn't own one of these calculators, I gave him mine, to practice and to study with. Although I only learned his name five minutes earlier, I had no doubt that he would study and return the calculator to me.

I was correct on both counts. Cooper was waiting for me after the regents to hand me the calculator. He was in the street because someone told him I had gone for lunch and he did not want to miss me. And, Cooper passed the exam. He didn't just squeak by, he got a 76. He was thrilled when I called to give him the news.

I know I do more than my fair share of bitching and complaining about those C-6 assignments, but a kid like Cooper makes doing it all worth while.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it me, or is letting students use a graphing calculator on the regent ridiculous thing you have ever heard?

Pissedoffteacher said...

It is ridiculous