Thursday, January 10, 2008

Smellington Would Love This Teacher


(Smellington from Billionaires for Education Reform)
Jan 10, 5:07 PM (ET)

OGDEN, Utah (AP) - Intimidated by snowy, slippery roads, a teacher cracked open a can of chili and slept in her classroom. Emma Clisante had a sleeping bag, pillow, toothbrush and fresh clothes Tuesday night at Ogden Preparatory Academy.

Teacher Sleeps in Classroom During Storm


"I'm from the Dominican Republic, and when I see snow on the roads, it scares me to death," Clisante said.

She read, surfed the Internet and caught up on other tasks. She turned off the lights when custodians left at 12:30 a.m. Wednesday.

"Every hour, I would wake up," Clisante said. "I locked the door from the inside and tried to hide myself under my desk."

Principal Kathy Thornburg was impressed.

"It warms my heart and shows the quality of educators we have at the school," Thornburg said.

8 comments:

Dawn said...

Her terror of the snow somehow indicates her quality as a teacher??

I'm missing something...

nbosch said...

She is going to be POed if the next day is a snow day!

17 (really 15) more years said...

Don't let Bloomklein see this, it'll become part of the next contract.

Anonymous said...

Nothing would warm my heart more than to cuddle up with the roaches and mice on a cold, snowy night.


God Bless Catholic High School Teachers for proving that a union can pull together.

Anonymous said...

The snowflakes weren't the only flakes around in Utah on Tuesday night. They're as Dickensian as BloomKleinGarten are; apparently, Ogden Prep doesn't have any snow days either. Down at Tweed, they have erected an altar in Clisante's honor, and have probably offered her a job as Deputy Chancellor for Irrational Behavior.

X said...

Now that's just creepy. Also, shouldn't it be illegal??

Pissed Off Mom said...

Did she not think of asking someone for a ride home. The Principal is a nutjob. Quality of educators has nothing to do with being afraid of snow. I am afraid of rats must make me a genius.

Anonymous said...

at least she didn't risk her life driving when she knew she couldn't handle it. Glad she made it okay, God bless her for putting others safety before her own.