Monday, December 10, 2007

Pawns


It seems that Principal Suit has decided that he is going to start putting letters in the files of teachers that have too many failing students. Never mind that these kids know little or nothing, do nothing in class, or cut, the teacher is responsible. There are classes that are made up primarily of these kids. One social studies teacher told me her class was made of up kids who scored 0 and 1 on eighth grade assessments. Now is she going to get a letter in her file because so many are failing?

My AP is scared. Last week he had standards. We were not supposed to pass anyone who could not do the work. This week the standards are gone. Next semester, all the repeaters will take M&C instead of the new algebra class they are currently failing. The theory is that they can be taught to pass the regents. Once they pass the regents, Suit will give them credit for four terms of math and move them ahead. More will graduate and Suit will get his bonus.

I feel terrible for the younger teachers that have to survive in this system. One minute they have to fail the kids, the next minute they have to pass the kids and no one in power cares whether they learn anything. The young teachers, the ones who entered the profession to make a difference will never be able to make this difference. They are just pawns of the administration and have no control over any of their moves.

6 comments:

17 (really 15) more years said...

Last year, my AP ripped into the eighth grade teachers because of the 4 kids that didn't graduate. Never mind that they cut school constantly, never did any work, and behaved badly- it was OUR fault because we didn't motivate them enough. 2 of them were actually decently functioning (level 3 in ELA and math) but the other 2 were practically illiterate. They went to summer school and are now in high school. None of them can pass a Regents if their lives depended on it.

Anonymous said...

Just when I think a post could not get any sadder, you come along and write this one.

These admins are out to make themselves look good. The teachers are treated like horses. Yell at them. Whip them. And maybe you will get the results you want. However, do they stop to look at the students.

Suit is looking for a bonus and nothing else. I just have to wonder if this new directive will get the teachers to finally come together and stand up for what is right. But first many need to apologize to you for not understanding why you always took a stance against all of it.

I remember a third grade teacher at my former school who would yell at me and talk about me because I saw things in the principal she didn't. She defended the principal constantly.
One day she came up to me an apologized because she became the recipient of what I saw all along.

We are professionals. Not pawns.
Teachers need to see that.

Pissedoffteacher said...

I really have no problems with the teachers in the school. Some stand up. Some are too afraid to say anything. Some are too young to know any better.

My problems are with the admins. All I know is that if I am asked to teach these kids (I have a great track record with them), I am going to say NO!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry. I once thought you stated that some teachers labeled you a "trouble maker" when you stood up at meetings. But I read so many blogs, it could have been anyone who stands up to admins and Randi.

Pissedoffteacher said...

No problem--the admins and probably my CL label me as a trouble maker. I don't mind the label, in fact, I kind of like it.

Jose Vilson said...

Some people just don't get it. That's the problem.