Monday, October 22, 2007

B

I heard a rumor today that we only got a B on our Quality Review and Principal Suit is upset about it. In fact, he is so upset that he invited the reviewers to come back to try to up the score.
I don't know if this is true. I don't know what goes into making the score the score it is. I only know that the reviewers are kept far away from me. It doesn't matter that I get good results and have success with kids that have never succeeded before. I would tell the reviewers the truth about the school. I would tell those shameful little secrets that are kept hidden away. I would tell the family secrets.

I wonder what will happen if they do return. I bet Suit is already working on some of his staff to portray the "right image" and he has been coaching them on giving the right answers. I wish there was a way for them to see what really goes on. I wish they could see my classroom with the broken thermostat and the mosaic painted walls and the windows that don't all open. I wish they could see the lack of security by the trailers. I wish our grade would go down.

With all this I still have to say that my school is still one of the best around. We have a great staff and great kids. It is just not perfect. In fact, it is very far from perfect. These imperfections have to be pointed out. It is the only way to improve the system that is failing kids every day.

4 comments:

JUSTICE not "just us" said...

You are sooo lucky!!!
But i bet my location is better than yours!! But that's all I can say about my school. We will probably get a C or D but not an F since we are a "designated dumping area". Where else are they going to put the 1 and 2's???

Anyway, these grades mean nothing. The deck is stacked , the game is rigged. Bloom/Klein leave nothing to chance or at least they want to appear that they don't but the frontline troops(the teachers) know what a farce all of this is.

Anonymous said...

Of course they're gonna give us a B! On the outside it looks gorgeous! And wow, the hallways are so clear in between classes! No one's allowed to cut the day the inspectors come around! And security! It's great! Of course they dont sit around on their asses talking to the kids who can be found most of the time in the Dean's office! Man, the school is great!
Suit can hide away the little imperfections for so long. I'm not going to lie though, it's a good school, but eventually, it WILL be the little things that will give it all away. If I were you, I'd start coming up with a way to get this stuff out in the open.
I also wish the grade would decrease. It's just like any math student. When he/she gets a low grade, idealistically they will work their asses off to get that A. I think Suit just needs a boot to the ass and a couple of tutors to show him what he's doing wrong.

--Pink Floyd

proofoflife said...

Wow, I just wrote all about how we went from a 'B' to a 'C' overnight! The DOE can't even get this formula correct. I bet alot of heads were spinning, and there were some people who may have had some political pull and this is why the SUITS can try to get their grades changed. What a Sham!

Mrs. T said...

Would LOVE to see their formula. I wonder what our school would get?