Sunday, June 10, 2012

Inner Ugly


I dreamt I was back in the classroom.  I was teaching a pretty nice bunch of kids but then something happened to the room.  At first there were no desks and chairs and then the room turned into a big mess of chairs and desks everywhere.  The kids were unruly and there was no way I could get them under control.  I didn't even have a board to write on.  Not knowing what else to do I went to the closest supervisor for help.  I hadn't seen this woman for a while but remembered she was young and pretty and very incompetent.  (She got her certification in a buy-your-credit program using papers others wrote.) As soon as I walked in, I saw she had changed.  She shrunk vertically several inches but more than made up for this loss horizontally.  Her hair was died a very yellow blond and the brown roots were prominent. Her face was blown up like she was on steroids and her face was covered with acne.

I wanted to ask her why she traded her looks for a job.  I wanted to ask why she let her ugly inside come out.  Instead, I insisted she come up with a solution to my problem.  She did nothing.  It was typical of all her actions.

(The dream was probably due to a conversation I had earlier in the evening with a former colleague.)

No comments: