Friday, May 21, 2010

Given 'Em What They Want

Okay, not what is in the picture, but it does illustrate the point.

Over the years, I've had to change the way I teach many times. Last year, for example, I was told to just give the geometry class theorems and skip derivations, as they were too difficult. This year, everyone is encouraged to develop everything. I've changed the way "do nows" are done, I've changed the way homework is gone over and I've even changed the way I give an exam. I think I change my teaching style more often than some people change their underwear.

To survive, I've had to learn to give 'em what they want. It might be wrong but as the saying goes, I only work here and I want those dollar bills to keep coming.

2 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Nah, I don't think it's wrong. Only a versatile teacher could "give 'em what they want"--and still succeed in helping students to learn!

Visit My Latest Teacher Post: ‘A Matter of Safety’

dkuroiwa said...

We used to always say that it was time for the "dog and pony show"...give them what they want, make it look good, but still actually teach. and people complain that teachers don't need such a long summer vacation. HA!!