Saturday, March 08, 2008

Passion Quilt



This meme requires each player to find a picture or design a piece of art that communicates what you, as an educator, are most passionate for your students to learn about. I was tagged by Tamareden who has a wonderful blog I just found.

The most important thing I teach my students is how to think. If they understand a concept and know how to analyze the question, they can do anything. Too often, my students have succeeded by memorizing rules and completing assignments by rote. I always say "Give a man dinner and he has food for the night. Teach him to fish and he has food for life." By understanding concepts, they are ready for life. The math I teach them is good, probably not helpful in the long run for most. Everyone needs to think and learn how to apply those thoughts to making good decisions. The picture is one I took this summer of a man salmon fishing in Alaska.

THE RULES OF THE MEME:

Post a picture or make/take/create your own that captures what YOU are most passionate for kids to learn about
give your picture a short title.
Title your blog post “Meme: Passion Quilt”
link back to this blog entry.
Include links to 5 folks in your professional learning network

I would like to ask all who read this blog to think about what they are passionate about and share it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the picture and your pilosophy! It's nice how there's something Asian speaking from the picture, and how that corresponds with the Chinese saying you refer to. Very inspiring. My meme can be found at http://frumteacher.blogspot.com/2008/03/passion-quilt-meme.html

Anonymous said...

An interesting view illustrated by a great photo.
My own response to this meme can be found at:
http://ilanadavita.wordpress.com/2008/03/02/passion-quilt-meme/