Saturday, May 25, 2013

He Lost A Good One

 
A former Packemin colleague just sent me this e-mail she received from a student.  Mr. AP never thought much of her teaching and made her life so uncomfortable she took early retirement.  Luckily, the college didn't share his opinion of her teaching methods and hired her.  While the students at Packemin lost a great teacher, some college students gained one.  Congrats Prof XXX.  This is the kind of stuff that makes it all worth while.


Hi Prof. XXX


  Just wanted to say thank you so much for helping me pass math X. Your teaching
style is unbelievable.  I hated math all my life and wasn't good at it.  You
made me enjoy learning and now I feel confident when doing it.  Hopefully, the
Prof for math XX this summer can keep me interested in learning more advanced
math.  It was a pleasure meeting you and being your student.  I hope we meet
again some day. Thank you again for being by far the BEST prof I've ever had....

1 comment:

Ms. Tsouris said...

I loved working with several of the devalued math teachers at Packemin. We shared students with learning issues. These teachers were THE master teachers. They all had a very clear, concise, and very understandable way of conveying both theory and method. They were also understanding and caring as teachers, and very supportive to students who struggled to learn "higher" mathematical concepts. No wonder this colleague is so appreciated as a college instructor. You all deserved the highest praise and admiration, not marginalization, put downs, and crass comments. Mr. AP is barely a manager, never mind an educator. Packemin lost a few outstanding teachers; luckily, a number of them found a very different upbeat, supportive, and positive milieu in which to continue teaching. Your colleague, and you, deserve this type of recognition.