Tuesday, April 30, 2013

From A Friend's Facebook Page

Ironic! Isn't it? That as the so called corporate model in managing the public schools is being introduced into the public sector, i.e civil service ,the entrance exam you took to get the job, the number of years of experience and training that you have accumulated mean nothing to a principal who needs your experience, training and facility with languages and knowledge of different cultures because an urban area like New York City is so complex and diverse. What's happening today is that because of ageism, a bad economy and ill will on the part of the City experienced workers are being thrown out with the garbage, told they are no longer needed and or wanted. I do know one thing that today it is my turn to be shunted, humiliated and abused so as to leave but tomorrow it will be someone else's i.e. those young teachers they are praising so much that "they" say will be the salvation of public education. If apathy towards your working conditions(read grateful to have a job) and hostility towards your colleagues reigns supreme then think of just how poor your working life is and how unhappy you will be until it your time to be thrown out with the garbage arrives!
I marvel at some of my colleagues who tell me they have a great relationship with their boss/bosses and they socialize with him/her after working hours. I've never been that lucky nor do I want to be. When the "spaghetti hits the fan" and we all have to "cover our assets" I doubt friendship is important at all. Perhaps the rule below only applies to those in the trenches as I keep meeting colleagues who work  in rarefied and privileged work places where everybody gets along and sings "Kumbaya". Not this working class kid!
I marvel at some of my colleagues who tell me they have a great relationship with their boss/bosses and they socialize with him/her after working hours. I've ne...ver been that lucky nor do I want to be. When the "spaghetti hits the fan" and we all have to "cover our assets" I doubt friendship is important at all. Perhaps the rule below only applies to those in the trenches as I keep meeting colleagues who work in rarefied and privileged work places where everybody gets along and sings "Kumbaya". Not this working class kid!

No comments: