Sunday, November 19, 2006

I Hope I Found A Way

I have a couple of good kids in my M&C class, that fail, no matter what they do. I experimented with them on Friday's test by letting them take the test earlier than the rest of the class, on a free period, when I, or someone else could sit with them and encourage them. Encouragement was given, help was not. Both kids passed the test. One got a 76 and the other a 65. Hopefully, I will be able to build their confidence this way and they will be able to start passing under the same conditions as everyone else. I know my chairman would have a fit if he knew I was doing this. I don't care. When you have one foot out the door on the way to retirement, there is nothing he can do to bother or hurt me. I just hope I can help the kids.

2 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Excellent move on your part! You are doing nothing wrong. Modifying and accommodating when necessary is just good teaching. Those kids will succeed--and they will never forget you!

NYC Educator said...

I was going to say something like that, but that California guy went and beat me to it.