Thursday, August 02, 2012

Those Who Can't Teach

As I read different blogs with posts about the masterbater Lori Wheal's, I think about all the people I know who have left the classroom.  On the surface, they claim they want to make a difference, but that is not the real reason.  These people just can't deal with the classroom.  They don't know how to deal with difficult students.  Many of them are even afraid of the kids they teach.  It is so much easier to stand in front of a group of teachers and present mumbo jumbo theory that doesn't work than it is to work with children.  Adults will be polite, will not interrupt and be non threatening.  This often does not happen in the classroom.

As the saying goes, THOSE WHO CAN'T TEACH BECOME EDUCATION POLICY MAKERS.

A master teacher who really wanted to help students would not be running from the classroom, but running towards it.

7 comments:

Chaz said...

I so agree.

Anonymous said...

>>Adults will be polite, will not interrupt and be non threatening.<< oh, you've never been to one of our high school's in services! I refuse to train teachers. They are much worse than any high school student I ever had .

Pissedoffteacher said...

I wish I could say the same. I have only seen teachers rude when the PD is a waste of time.

Anonymous said...

I really dont see why its okay to be rude even if the PD is a waste of time. I am not a teacher but I have meetings that suck and I have to go. It is part of my job. If I was rude I would probably be fired. Or certainly disciplined.

Pissedoffteacher said...

It is not okay to be rude but it is also not okay to wast people's time with PD that that is irrelevant, not thought out and not properly prepared.

Anonymous said...

I agree to a point with your comment about ed policy makers, but the ed policy is so bad in my state/district that I've begun to work on ed policy. I'm still in the classroom but I don't know for how much longer. When the ed policy is so bad it inhibits teaching the only choices are to work for change or leave. And to all those talking about PD...I agree a lot of it is really bad, and of no value taught by people that haven't used what their teaching in a real class room setting. It is just a way for the Policy Makers to look like they are trying. Until we can get real and allow all stakeholders equal input we are just wasting time and our students are falling further behind.

Anonymous said...

After a decade of teaching, I applied for a staff developing position, and got it. I was so excited...to be able to empower adults with some knowledge...after 4 months...I hated it. The minute a class was created, I begged the principal to let me go back to the classroom. I realized, that my true calling was in the classroom with students...where the real magic takes place. Also, some adults do behave just like children, and in some cases even worse. The following year, I was offered a job as a staff developer for district...I could not take it!