Thursday, November 03, 2011

More Than A Step Behind


A group of low-level freshman heard me talking about calculator use being forbidden in the college classes I teach.  He heard this as he was handing his ID card in to get a calculator for the days lesson.  I heard him say, "Mr., why do you make us use calculators when we won't be able to use them in college?"  The boy was clearly disturbed about the caliber of education he was receiving.

I left before I heard the teachers answer so I don't know how he justified calculator use to this student but I do know the AP of the department is demanding that all classes use a calculator daily.  Education and college readiness is not a step behind statistics, it is the being on the first step of the staircase  leading to the top of the Empire State Building behind.

No comments: