Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I Don't Want To Be Liked So Much

A kid came running up to me in the hall all excited the other day. "Mrs. T, Mrs. T, I've been looking for you everywhere. I'm applying for a summer internship and since you are my favorite teacher, I want you to write my recommendation."

I wish I wasn't her favorite teacher. I'm so sick of writing recommendations. Each one takes so long to do. If I'm doing them, I really try to do a good job. I make the kids submit resumes and then sell themselves to me. I never say no but I really want to say no. I always give them a copy of the recommendation. That way, they don't have to mail it if they don't like it, and they can't blame me if they don't get into the college or program of their choice.

I tried to tell this kid that being her favorite teacher was just giving me extra work. She didn't hear what I was saying. I think I did too good a job of writing it. She said her mom liked it so much that she made a copy of it and sent it to all her relatives in India. She promised me that when she is a senior, applying to college, she will let me write all her recommendations. I can't wait!

5 comments:

NYC Educator said...

I decline recommendations if I can't think of anything very good to say about the kid. I'm amazed when kids who got mediocre grades or gave me a hard time ask for them, and they do for some reason.

IB a Math Teacher said...

NYCe: I've found that the C kids ask me for the recommendations because they were their highest grades (sadly).

Pissedoffteacher said...

I find the same thing and I always say yes. I can always find something nice to say about them.

NYC Educator said...

OK, I'll try a little harder. This is just one more reason I hate talking with math teachers.

Pissedoffteacher said...

Go lose money on yoru blog. At least mine is free!