Friday, August 04, 2017

Purging


When I first retired I tossed old books and lesson plans, tons of lesson plans in all subjects except for calculus.  I spent so much time preparing and learning that I did not have the heart to get rid of them.  Finally, after six years, I am purging myself of this material too.  All the books I collected at conferences, dragged home on the subway and used diligently are going into a charity box.  I know I will never need them again and hope they will find a good home with a new family.  As for me, I am enjoying my empty shelves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good for you... I am sure it felt very refreshing.

time to start putting photos of the cutie patooties on the shelves. :)

Indee/ TGG

burntoutteacher said...

I, on the other hand, was soooooo thrilled to be escaping the hell that was my last school, the same week I filed for an emergency retirement, I purged everything. My driveway was lined with dozens of giant recyclable bags filled with lesson plans and the like that went back to my teaching before I even joined the DoE, from the late 1970's when I taught college. It took several weeks to box up and donate hundreds of books and textbooks. If NYC ordinances had allowed and I wasn't worried about burning down my house, I would have had the biggest bonfire Brooklyn had ever seen! Such was my joy at never having to write another lesson plan again. (Although I have to confess that lesson planning and re-reading the literature I taught, was probably the best part of the job for me. Loved trying to come up with novel -- pun intended -- ideas that would excite my s
tudents.)