Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I Hear Music

School has started and so has the loud, overbearing music that our principal insists on playing between periods. While I agree that the music is a nice interlude, I find it instrusive when I am in the middle of working or if I am teaching a double period class. It wouldn't even be so bad if he played some soft, classical music. It would be nice to expose the students to things they don't usually listen too. Phone conversations could be carried on while this music is being played and conversations would not be interupted. I don't know how many times I have had to tell parents to hang on while the music played. I can't count the number of times I couldn't answer a students question after class because I couldn't hear it over the music. I have been rudely disrupted and distracted while I intensely marked papers or wrote lessons and this music came on. I think when I retire, I will walk into his office with a big boom box, preferably while he is on the phone or holding a meeting and see if he still feels the same about music.

No comments: